Tuesday 28 August 2012

Welcome to my One Stitch Blog



28th August 2012


I have always been a knitter and more recently dabbled in crochet too. When a good friend mentioned she'd joined a Patchwork Club I had visions of her using the English paper piecing technique that I had seen my Grandma doing when I was a child. How wrong could I be!
Once I started to see her beautiful creations I was keen to find out more.
I bought
The Practical Guide to Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman and that was it...I was hooked!
My first attempts were OK but luckily my local fabric store runs regular quilting classes so hey presto and I was attending my beginners guide to quilting class. One day with the guidance and help from my teacher was all I needed to make the techniques clear, I even got over my fear of the rotary cutter!
Why do I love quilting so much? I love the fact that there are no rules, apart from the accuracy of your cutting and the quarter inch seam allowance you can make your design as colourful or as minimal as you like, it's entirely up to you.
When I make a quilt I will, 90% of the time, use a pre-cut fabric pack, these have different names depending on the brand of fabric you buy but my number one choice would be a Moda fabric pack. Currently in the UK there are Moda Jelly Rolls, Layer Cakes and Charm Packs available but you can sometimes find items called Honey Buns and Turnovers too!
The fabric packs contain either strips or squares of the entire collection for the fabric range you have chosen, this means that whichever piece you use it is guaranteed to look great next to another piece as they're from the same range so no problems with colour matching, easy peasy!
I am such a fan of the pre-cut ranges that I have chosen to stock a good variety in my online shop www.onestitchatatime.co.uk in time, I will expand the fabric lines and maybe move into bolts of fabric as well.
The aim of this blog is to allow me to share my ideas and projects, I hope you will enjoy seeing them as much as I have enjoyed making them!


0 comments:

Post a Comment